Sunday, February 8, 2009

Old Blog - 11.07.2006

Tuesday, November 07, 2006 

I don't get it...
Current mood:  drained

I think last night Sarah subjected herself to more scrutiny than she had anticipated upon accompanying me to my parents' house for dinner. After dutifully listening to an awkward but hilariously long HR lecture from my mother, (but really Roommate, you admit you walked right into that one) she then had to patiently nod her head as my dad began his rant sparked by the observance of her nose piercing. As he put it, pierced body parts go on the list of "Things I Don't Get". Among other things on his list: Hummers, Jessica and Ashlee Simpson, and endzone dances that pro football players do after scoring a touchdown. 

I'm sorry you had to go through that, Sarah. Generally my parents are a little more fun than that. But it did get me thinking all day at my glamorous temp job about what would go on my list of "Things I Don't Get". It is growing with intense speed.

THINGS I DON'T GET (In No Particular Order):
* CU Boulder. The full name of the school is University of Colorado at Boulder. Why isn't it called UC Boulder? Trust me -- no one's going to confuse it with University of California at Boulder. Why does everybody call it CU?
* Mullets and Rattails. Okay, other than a few smartasses who grow them as a joke. I'm talking about the people that ACTUALLY grow their hair out in all seriousness. Do these people actually look in the mirror before they walk out the door in the morning and say, "Well. I look good." ?
* Laika. Why don't they want to hire me?
* Cintia's Host Family. Why don't they get it?
* The Doctor. Why doesn't he realize that if he spends all his time fundraising and then neglects his student, there is no reason to raise funds??
* People who don't tip well. Actually, I do get you guys. You clearly have never worked in food service and are thus not in touch with reality.
* Ben Stiller. He. Is. Not. Funny.
* People who put nuts in baked goods. You people are ruining perfectly wonderful brownies, cookies, and breads by disrupting the texture with your ugly walnuts and such. Stop it!
* My mother. Why does she accuse me of things of which she is the poster child? 
* Horse people. Many of you are nice people but please know that on the inside I am judging, judging, judging...
* Paris Hilton. She's not even cute. I mean, Jessica Simpson is a stupid bitch but at least she's cute. It appalls me that our society is in awe of someone who has no noticeable redeeming qualities and is simply famous for being famous.
* The US Embassy. Get over your egos and give Yoni his visa!! I'm sure they can put their energy and fear toward many other issues right now that have a little more consequence than a 19 year-old kid who wants to study English in Oregon. I mean really.
* Tom Shane. How has THAT marketing campaign become successful?
* Active opponents of gay marriage. Okay seriously, believe what you want. Judge them and think what you want about the hereafter. But how is the legality of their partnerships going to affect you? The only way your life might change at all is that you will probably get invited to a couple fabulous weddings.  How are we letting people be denied basic rights?
* My own complacency. Why am I allowing another week to go by doing mundane tasks at a job that is boring me to stupidity while my temp company pimps seven dollars an hour off of work that I'm doing?


Alright. I'm off to Happy Hour. Now THAT is something I get.

No comments: