Sunday, February 8, 2009

Old Blog - 5.16.2007

Wednesday, May 16, 2007 

The Key of Me
Current mood:  tired 
Category: Music

My dad told me this afternoon as he was hanging a picture on my wall that I have gotten him hooked on Kink. He said in an enthusiastic voice that should really be used for an ad, "I listen to it ALL the TIME!"

 

Well duh. It really is the best radio station ever. And I proceeded to tell their morning host Les Sarnoff just that in February when he hosted our SMART fundraising breakfast at Nike. Immediately after the event, I made my way to the front of the room to gush to him like a starstruck teenager.

 

"Really? You like our music?" Les asked somewhat incredulously.

"Oh-my-gosh, it's all I listen to!" I exclaimed. Yes I really did say 'oh-my-gosh'.

Les shook his head. "How old are you?"

"I'm 23!"

"Wow," he said, "I didn't think anyone your age listened to our music."

 

I think Les must be out of touch with my age group. We don't really have a music genre. I mean, I lied a little when I said that Kink is allll I listen to. I still need my pop music fix just as much as the next person. Sometimes you just need a sweet escape so you can smack that to-the-left-to-the-left. And most people I know around my age are the same; we like a bunch of stuff.

 

Much to my delight (relief), I received an iPod for my birthday. Go Mom and Dad. I'm back to having the "iPod walk" that I used to have in New York where I'm practically dancing as I head to and from work. Of course, my walking chi has been thrown off this week with a curious injury to my right foot (apparently walking two miles a day in heels isn't good for you) but that doesn't stop me from indulging in a soundtrack to my life. Amy Winehouse served as the highlight of my soundtrack this afternoon. I'm kind of obsessed with her song "You Know That I'm No Good" and when it came on as I waved to a fire truck full of cute firemen boys, I was in heaven.

 

I feel compelled to put out there that I am totally over Norah Jones. I can't stand her new song and it has created in me a disdain for her old songs too. John Mayer is almost there as well. No more message songs, John. I too am waiting on the world to change: I'm waiting on the world to stop taking legitimate musicians and watering down their talent so they can use it as background music for morning talk show montages. What would Miles Davis say about this crap you've been turning out?


The artist I've been listening to the most recently is Shakira. Who would've thought. Her unplugged album kicks the ass of every unplugged album ever. Except maybe Eric Clapton.  But seriously. It kicks ass.

 

I'm listening to Kink as I blog.  It's on a commercial right now and I f-ing hate radio commercials, but I'm too cozy to get up and change the station. My parents had invited me to dinner tonight; I rarely turn down free food, but once I got home this afternoon I knew there was no way I could drag myself out of my apartment again. I haven't had alone time in a while and I wanted to take it. I remember in college not being able to comprehend the appeal of alone time.

No comments: