Sunday, February 8, 2009

Old Blog - 2.24.2006

Friday, February 24, 2006 

It's about time for a new blog.
Current mood:  mellow 
Category: Food and Restaurants

As I passed through the dining room of Del Frisco's earlier this evening to use the restroom, I overheard this exchange between one of our servers and one of our patrons:

"Would you like your drink straight-up? On the rocks?"
"Yes."

I guess one should never assume that just because a person is willing to spend thirteen dollars on a cocktail to go with his or her ten-dollar salad before a fifty-dollar steak, a couple of ten-dollar sides, and, finally, an eleven-dollar dessert, that the person actually has any kind of street smarts or common logic. I have run into this quite a bit since beginning at Del Frisco's one month ago. A perfect example occurred yesterday.

A woman berated me on the phone because she felt she was getting jerked around. Apparently the first time she called for a reservation, "some girl" (that was me) had told her that the nearest parking garage was on 48th Street. The second time she called, however, "some other girl" had told her the nearest parking garage was on 50th Street. So which is the closest, huh?? 48th or 50th?? Why are people telling her different things???

Maybe because the restaurant is located on 49th?

Here's another exchange I enjoy which happens quite frequently:

Anonymous Stupid Patron: "Hi, I'd like a reservation for tonight."
Personable Reservationist: "We have 8:00 and later available for tonight."
Anonymous Stupid Patron: "Do you have 6:00?"
(Excuse me.. is this thing on?)

The best is when people think they can haggle with me like I'm a Canal Street vendor.

Anonymous Sneaky Patron: "Hi, I'd like a reservation for 6:00 tonight."
Adorable Reservationist: "I'm sorry, our first available reservation for tonight is 9:00."
Sneaky: "6:30?"
Me: "9:00."
Sneaky: "7:00?"
Me: "9:00."
Sneaky/Starting to Get Whiny: "You don't have ANYTHING earlier?"
Me: "No, I'm so sorry." ((Subtext: "At this point, even if I did, I wouldn't give it to you."))

My favorite FAVORITE people, however, are the "just across the street/just upstairs" people. These are the people who work in businesses either located upstairs of us in the McGraw-Hill building, or somewhere in one of the many nameless buildings in some direction across one of our cross-streets. Because these people are located so very close to us, they seem to think this is being the equivalent to Del Frisco's best buddy and therefore entitling them to special privileges. For example:

No Logic Across-the-Street Person: "Hey can I get a table for two at 5:30?"
All-Knowing Reservationist: "I'm sorry, we don't have any openings until 6:30."
No Logic Whatsoever: "Can't you squeeze me in? I'm just across the street."

Insert dream sequence here:

RESERVATIONIST: "Ohhhhh, you're just across the street?? Why didn't you say so?? We actually have one table for two at the window that we have been turning down to everyone who has called so we could save it for someone just like you who could just cross the street and come over and sit down. I'm so very glad you called."

I mean seriously.

So please don't misinterpret my blog mocking to mean I hate my job because as a matter of fact I really like it. I get a free meal at 4:00 everyday, a handful of jelly beans every night as I walk out the door, and tips that almost double my paycheck every week. And I get paid weekly -- did I mention that?? Every young and slightly irresponsible person's dream. AND, just as I wrote that last sentence, the head chef came into the office and offered to bring me dessert - anything I wanted. I chose the butterscotch cheesecake.

Life is good.

No comments: