Sunday, February 8, 2009

Old Blog - 12.01.2005

Thursday, December 01, 2005 

The other night during dinner...
Current mood:  amused 
Category: Romance and Relationships

"I met a really great guy for Meredith today." said my father.

What? Did he really just say that? My dad, the guy who refers to all boys I used to date as "Floyd"? The same guy who complained to my mom about my red shorts that say "Boston" because he doesn't want anybody looking at my butt? The same guy who consistently makes some warning comment when I leave for the gym because he is convinced that the guys in the weight room will leer at me?

So as we all are quietly enjoying our linguine and clam sauce, my dad informs us that he has met someone that he believes to be a perfect match for me. My mom and I meet eyes but suppress our initial reaction to laugh because we are both intrigued to know what could have possibly caused my typically oblivious yet protective daddy to suddenly become interested in matchmaking for his 22 year-old daughter who is moving 3,000 miles away in less than two months.

The funniest part was his innocent enthusiasm. He had no idea this was funny. He proceeded to rattle off this guy's "stats" - or, the qualities that he thought gave reason as to why I might be interested in him:

He's 25.
He has his business degree from Pacific University.
He works as a controller for the winery my dad is insuring
He played baseball in college. More specifically, he was a catcher.
He lives near Washington Square. (My dad emphasized this one as a major selling point. Because apparently I only can go out with guys who live within a two-mile radius. Or maybe it would simply open up more options for dates seeing as all those new stores AND The Cheesecake Factory just opened there.)

And the clincher, and this is an exact quote:

"He's a very nice-looking guy. I think you'd think he was attractive."

WHAT??

My dad still can't understand why my mom and I laughed so hard.

No comments: