Sunday, February 8, 2009

Old Blog - 8.17.2006

Thursday, August 17, 2006 

It also isn't about fluorescent lighting, Dean and Deluca, or any singer named Bryan.
Current mood:  lazy 
Category: Blogging

I don't have to work until 8 tonight. Makes me feel like baking. Whenever I have a day to myself and no pressing obligations or commitments, I just want to stay at home in my pajamas and bake. I made blueberry-banana bread and chocolate-chip cookies about a week and a half ago and brought some into work to share with my fellow ho-stesses. They all looked at me bizarrely with astonished gratitude. I mean, who bakes in New York? I realize that identified me as the transplant Oregon girl whose feelings still get hurt by strangers on the street and who gawks at the price of food at the bodegas (but really, 5.99 for a small box of Cheerios?? you people are sick bastards.) But it made the night at Del Frisco's so much better to have something home-baked hidden in the coat check for all of the girls to sneak bites of when they needed a moment's break from the floor. Spending many consecutive hours on the floor, in heels, in one of the busiest restaurants in Manhattan, where the majority of the clientele consists of men with too much money, power, and too little respect... well, it gets ya down. But that's not what this blog is about.

Anyway, I don't think I'll get any baking done today. Haven't really gotten much of anything done today except some necessary morning coffee chatting with Ro and a few minor household chores. I'm in this ongoing process of getting rid of books, clothing, random crap I don't use enough to justify keeping. I wouldn't say I'm becoming a minimalist.. just trying to eschew unnecessary clutter. I think that if my life were a bit more organized and a bit less cluttered, I would be able to release some anxiety and unsettled feelings.

But this blog isn't about anxiety and unsettled feelings. Sometimes things need to be saved for your private personal journal. And sometimes, writing about them simply leads to dwelling on them, which only perpetuates the anxiety. So instead, taking a cue from "100 Simple Secrets of Happy People", (which Rochelle subtly passed to me for bus-reading material when I was walking out the door the other day) I choose to highlight some recent neat moments:

*Orin, the bar manager at St. Andrew's pub on 44th Street, brought me a glass of wine on the house when Ro and I were there for a late lunch/early dinner a couple weeks ago. He wasn't trying to hit on me, wasn't trying to get me drunk, wasn't trying to use it to sell something else. Just came over to the table and said a glass of wine was on the house. And of course I chose the Argentine Malbec.

*The doorman at Ripley-Grier, who recognized me when I came two days in a row, and asked excitedly, "Do you have a callback??" When I nodded he gave me a high-five.

*A 20-dollar tip passed to me from a couple visiting from Oklahoma who I chatted with as I poured water one night on the floor. They said I was much better than their server who had "no personality", and they wanted to help out a starving actress. (A much more generous gift than, say, a 100 shoved into my palm by a dirty old man. But this blog isn't about that either.)

*A lovely day in Central Park with a rowboat, nostalgia, and a dangerous margarita. Makes me think of Summer of 69.

*Learning Chinese with the bounce-along lyrics after haggling for a purse for ten dollars less than the asking price. Please see the video Megan left in my comments for further amusement.

*Declaring my love to Brian D'arcy James in a most ungraceful and hypocritical manner minutes after telling Megan to be cool and not run to the stage door after the show.

*Seeing quite possibly the worst play ever written, directed, and performed  and yet still having the best time because I was hanging out with my new friend Rebekah somewhere other than a soul-stifling reservations office with fluorescent lighting.

*Eating sinfully good Dean and Deluca brownies with my sister as we played "The Real Game of Life" (a product of Portland's Saturday Market) on her living room floor. We split a cheesecake brownie and a Snicker's brownie and after the last bite when we both thought our stomachs were going to explode, we still couldn't decide which one was better.

*My latest e-mail from Yoni, which included the following - and this is a direct quote: "Well, I understand you because often the distance destroy the relation, but well the life continuous and is necessary to live it."

Yoni knows.

No comments: